Wednesday, October 31, 2012

House of Wax

I have a love-hate relationship with this movie. After watching it close to ten times, I have come to the decision that I like this movie for the most part; the part I do not like- Paris Hilton...

The sister-brother twin duo who kick butt!
House of Wax is not a supernatural horror movie which is normally the ones I like the most. It is more of a suspenseful thriller, but I really enjoyed it. The thing that makes it really scary is the fact that this whole movie can actually happen in real life. There probably are some psychotic people out there who built a whole town out of wax just to lure more victims in, kill them and then make them into wax figures. Or maybe these real people don't use wax...maybe they use chocolate? Anyways, it is a disturbingly awesome movie.

One thing I really loved about this movie was the way it was filmed- the cinematography. At first, I could not put my finger on why I liked it so much because honestly, there is nothing fancy about the way it was shot. But recently, it hit me. It is just so simple which really helps lend to the film's realistic nature. I thought that the actors, with the exception of Paris Hilton, were fairly good. My favorite character was Bo because he is the bad guy. I always root for the bad guy (except for the movie Orphan...oops! spoilers...)


Things do get slightly gory...
In any case, the storyline is decent. Foolish, young and naive college kids decide that on the way to a football game, it is okay to campout in a deserted part of some woods that is not even shown on a GPS. Then, they go to a town where everything, and I mean everything, is made of wax- from the people to the buildings. What's gross is that the wax people are actual people- cadavers covered in wax. So that's why they look so real? Yeah. That's why.

As much as I loved this movie, there were times when I would scream at the characters, wondering as to why they would do such stupid things. They could have all lived. Maybe being around Paris lowered their IQs a bit... just kidding. I have nothing against Paris except her lack of acting skills.

I would recommend this movie. Watch it right before you go on a road trip, in the dark. It is totally worth it.

Bo, the most awesome antagonist ever...besides Freddy Kreuger of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment