Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)


One, two, Freddy's coming for you.
Three, four, better shut the door.
Five, six, grab a crucifix.
Seven, eight, gonna stay up late.
Nine, ten, never sleep again...

I watched both the 1984 version and the 2010 remake. Although many people will disagree with me, I loved the 2010 version as compared to the 1984 version.

Truth be told, almost everyone loves the original movie better. I have heard reasons ranging from Freddy is scarier in the original to the characters are more developed even to I only liked it because Jonny Depp was in it. Not to say that I did not like the original. I thought it was good but to me, there just wasn't enough Freddy. Also, when comparing the two side by side, I felt like the 2010 remake was filmed in a cleaner fashion and obviously, the special effects and CGI were phenomenal. Don't get me wrong. I don't love movies just because of their effects. There are plenty of other movies where I liked the original better than the remake. But for A Nightmare on Elm Street, the remake just seemed much better.

See how beautifully this shot was framed? 

      I have to admit though, in this remake, there were quite a few plot holes and there wasn't much of a story/ character development for the kids like the original. And yes, it did not have Jonny Depp, but it did have Kellan Lutz (Edward Cullen's bro from Twilight)! But, I feel like the amazing effects make up for it. Also, a lot of people complain that in the remake, everything becomes so muddled that they can't tell whether things are happening in reality or if its the dream. Why complain? I don' t know if the movie director intentionally wanted things to seem like that, but I enjoyed it. It was pretty awesome
trying to figure out whether or not the characters were dreaming or living a nightmare in reality.

Freddy holding Nancy's hand...
     And, many people complained about the fact that Freddy had 50% screen time, which is apparently too much for him? I loved it. This whole movie is supposed to be about developing Freddy Kreuger's character, not the subordinating characters like Nancy or Quentin. Those kids are just there because someone has to be Freddy's Victim.

Plus, Jackie Earle Haley makes a great Freddy Kreuger. Scoff at me if you will, but I loved the 'twistedly-disgusting' relationship he had with Nacy...Little Nancy. I might be biased because I happen to love Rooney Mara (Nancy)...The 2010 remake was my favorite out of the two but I will say that the 1984 original was fairly good as well.

Just remember...don't fall asleep...


No comments:

Post a Comment